Every Local Authority has a duty to provide information, guidance and general support to owners of empty properties. Through this support the majority of properties can be returned to use, however, where negotiations with an owner have failed there are a number of powers available to make sure the property is brought back into use.
The decision to take further action will depend on the individual circumstances of the case and factors such as the length of time a property has been empty, the reason the property is empty and previous correspondence with the Local Authority.
- Compulsory Purchase Order (CPOs)
- Empty Dwelling Management Orders (EDMOs)
- Enforced Sales Procedure
- Town and Country Planning Act 1990 - s.215
- Building Act 1984 - s. 76, 79, 80
- Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 s.29